Lions at Your Side®

Commercial and Civil Litigation Lawyer Guelph

Our best civil litigation lawyers are proudly providing quality legal services in Toronto, Ottawa,

Windsor, and throughout the entire province of Ontario.



Commercial and Civil Litigation

Lawyer Guelph

At Chand & Co.'s practice, our core business is commercial and civil litigation. Given our diverse experience, we have what it takes to represent you in various business disputes. It does not matter how simple or complex your case is. Our lawyers have what it takes to negotiate the best outcome for you. We only take on the number of cases we can handle to ensure we give every case the attention it deserves. We take pride in our impeccable attention to detail and personalized client interactions. All our lawyers are responsive and will walk with you from the commencement of your case to its conclusion. We will provide you with valuable legal counsel throughout the case process.
    (Founding Partner)

Why Work With Us

  • civil and commercial
    litigation law

  • Regulatory Compliance
    and Defence

  • professional regulation and

    discipline law

  • Breach of contract

  • Commercial Lease
    Dispute Law

  • Condominium Litigation

  • public
    and administrative law

  • criminal
    defence law

  • cannabis

Our Practice Areas

Our commercial and civil litigation lawyers handle a wide range of practice areas. We are the go-to law firm if you need :

Understanding The Steps In A Civil Lawsuit
In the Ontario Superior Court of Justice

Commencing a Claim

The best place to start an action is at the Ontario Small Claims Court if you are suing for $35,000 or less. You must commence the claim in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice if the claim is above $35,000. Let’s consider actions commenced in the Superior Court of Justice for claims above $35,000. Before commencing a claim, the plaintiff prepares a statement of claim outlining the figure they are suing for. The statement also outlines the material facts that will be relied on in court. After preparing the statement of claim and paying the applicable filing fee, the court will authorize the issuance of a statement of claim. The plaintiff pays the filing fee to the Minister of Finance.

The claim is initiated under Rule 76 of the Rules of Civil Procedure if the claim is $200,000 or less. This process is also known as the simplified procedure. Claims above $200,000 are commenced under the ordinary rules. If the parties involved agree, they can rely on the simplified procedure even for claims above $200,000.

After issuing the statement of claim with the court, the plaintiff should serve the claim to all the listed defendants. The plaintiff must also file an affidavit of service with the court.

Defending a Claim

The defendant prepares a statement of defence if they intend to challenge the action commenced against them. This statement is served to the plaintiff and all relevant parties as outlined under the Rules of Civil Procedure. The defendant pays a service fee. The defendant also prepares an affidavit of service to show that the defence statement has been served to the relevant parties.

At this point, the defendant can commence a counterclaim against the plaintiff or a cross-claim against a co-defendant. There is also an option of making a 3rd party claim against any other party not listed.

The plaintiff can have a defendant noted in default if the defendant fails to defend action within 20 days of receiving the statement of claim. If this happens, the defendant can no longer file a defence without first seeking the plaintiff’s consent or filing a motion for an order to allow them to file a defence. Failing to defend a statement of claim could also mean that the defendant has accepted all the allegations contained in the statement. This allows the plaintiff to seek a default judgment against the defendant.

Discovery Stage

At this stage, the parties involved can agree to exchange evidence through the discovery process. The parties must first agree on a discovery plan to use this method to gather evidence. As of January 1, 2010, this agreement must be within 60 days following the close of pleadings and before alternative attempts to gather evidence.

All the parties involved in civil litigation will receive an affidavit of documents. Either party can serve a notice of examination to the other party outlining the place and time when the parties will come together and answer questions under oath. These examinations are transcribed and recorded. The transcripts serve as evidence that can be used in court to challenge the presented evidence.


The parties involved can agree to settle the case out of court through mediation. Mediation saves the parties time and money. As stated under rule 24.1 of the Rules of Civil Procedure, parties are subject to mandatory mediation for civil actions commenced in Toronto, Windsor, or Ottawa. Each party creates a mediation brief and serves it to the other party before mediation. A mediator is a neutral party that encourages the parties involved to dialogue and resolve their issues. All details, including the settlement offers made during mediation, are confidential.

Setting Down for Trial

At this point, a party sets down an action for trial. After the registrar places the action on the trial list, the parties attend an assignment court to choose when they will be available to attend the trial.

Pre-trial Conference

A pre-trial conference occurs before trial whereby the parties involved appear before the judge to narrow down the issues and concerns involved before trial. At this point, the parties will have an open dialogue to determine whether they can resolve the issues before trial.

The Trial

If the parties cannot resolve their issues or reach an agreement at the pre-trial conference, the case will proceed to trial. During the trial, both the plaintiff and defendant and their lawyers will have an opportunity to make opening statements and introduce the case to the judge or jury. Both parties will present evidence by providing documents as exhibits and calling witnesses. The plaintiff witnesses come first. After they testify, the other party will cross-examine them. The defence will also have an opportunity to call their witnesses. After presenting evidence and calling witnesses, the plaintiff and defendant will make the closing submissions.

After the closing submissions, the judge can give a judgment or reserve this decision and give judgment later.

Find a Litigation Lawyer in Guelph Near Me

At Chand &Co.’s practice, commercial and civil litigation has always been our core business. We have what it takes to represent clients in various disputes. If you need a lawyer in Guelph or the southwestern Ontario area with services that you can rely on, we invite you to contact us today. Call us today for solid legal services and representation at 416-583-2377.

Contact us for
case evaluation
Our service areas
Headquartered on Bay St. in Toronto, Chand & Co., serves valued clients all across the province of Ontario and beyond. Our firm specializes in litigation matters ranging from civil/commercial to regulatory and criminal defence. From Toronto to Windsor and beyond, we have the resources and experience to represent all individuals and businesses of various sizes. Call us for a consult.
  • Ajax
  • Aurora
  • Brampton
  • Burlington
  • Etobicoke
  • Guelph
  • King City
  • Kitchener
  • Markham
  • Milton
  • Mississauga
  • North York
  • Oakville
  • Oshawa
  • Ottawa
  • Pickering
  • Richmond Hill
  • Scarborough
  • Stouffville
  • Thornhill
  • Toronto
  • Vaughan
  • Whitby
  • Windsor

Our Reviews

We are proud to have helped many clients with their legal needs with our personalized and attentive service. We are grateful that our clients endorse us heartily and without reservation. See some testimonials of what some of our valued clients are saying about us:

Latest Articles

REAL ESTATE LITIGATION: PARTIES’ FAILURE TO CLOSE TRANSACTION According to our civil litigation lawyer, buying and selling property in both commercial and residential settings can be a very exciting time.
LATENT DEFECTS OR HIDDEN DAMAGE IN REAL PROPERTY TRANSACTIONS According to our civil litigation lawyer Toronto, when buying or selling a property, parties should be mindful of the defects that are and are not disclosed before entering into an agreement of purchase and sale.
CANADA CRYPTOCURRENCY LEGAL REGULATION What is “cryptocurrency”? How is it regulated in Canada? Where did it come from? In this article, our civil litigation lawyer in Toronto addresses these questions and to provide you with guidance on legal aspects of cryptocurrency in Canada.
DEFAMATION LAW Defamation refers to a false statement made about an individual that can potentially harm their reputation and give rise to damages.
2022 CHRISTMAS TOY DRIVE Chand & Co. is pleased to announce that our 2022 Christmas Toy Drive was a huge success.
CHAND & CO. ANNOUNCEMENT Dear Loyal Clients and Friends of the Firm, We are excited to announce that we have two new members joining our team in the New Year: Lorne Fine and Noah Waisglass.
DIVORCE Generally, a divorce is a legally binding termination or “un-doing” of a marriage. If the parties are “divorced”, the parties are considered to no longer be legally married to each other in Canada.
DOMESTIC CONTRACTS Generally, a domestic contract is an agreement between parties concerning personal, family, property, and/or relationship matters.
ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION Do you want to resolve a family law dispute without having to go to court? If the answer is yes, alternative dispute resolution may be the right option for you.
SPOUSAL SUPPORT When a couple files for a divorce, one of the partners may be required to financially support the other partner. This kind of support is known as “spousal support”, also referred to as “alimony” or “maintenance”.
COMMON LAW SPOUSE Have you ever come across individuals who refer to themselves as being “common law” spouses? If the answer is yes, have you ever wondered what the difference is between common law spouses and married spouses?
THE FAMILY RESPONSIBILITY OFFICE In Ontario, when a person is ordered by a court to pay spousal or child support, a Support Order is automatically filed with the Family Responsibility Office.